Circular No. 02/2021/TT-BCT on rules of origin of UKVFTA16/06/2021 349
On 11 December 2020, Vietnam Minister of Industry and Trade Tran Tuan Anh and UK Secretary of State for International Trade Elizabeth Truss signed the Memorandum of Understanding on the conclusion of the free trade agreement between Vietnam and the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland (UKVFTA), which creates a basis for two countries to implement the necessary legal procedures for official signing.
At 9pm on 29 December 2020 (Vietnam time), UKVFTA has been officially signed by the authorized representatives (ambassadors) of two governments in London, United Kingdom.
On 11 June 2021, Ministry of Industry and Trade issued Circular No. 02/2021/TT-BCT on rules of origin in Vietnam and the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland Free Trade Agreement.
The Circular includes 5 Chapters, 40 Articles and 8 Appendices:
- Chapter I. General provisions
- Chương II. Rules to determine origin of goods
- Chương III. Certification and inspection of origin of goods
- Chương IV. Special provisions
- Chương V. Implementing provisions
The Circular states that, in order to enjoy tariff preferences under UKVFTA, documents on certificate of origin of goods must be submitted to Vietnamese customs authorities within 2 years from the time of importation. Customs authorities may request translations if the certificate of origin is not in English.
According to the Circular, the mechanism of certification of origin under UKVFTA is implemented as follows:
For Vietnam's exported goods: (1) For shipments valued at less than 6,000 euros, any exporter is allowed to self-certification of origin; (2) For shipments valued at over 6,000 euros, apply C/O mechanism issued by agencies/organizations authorized by the Ministry of Industry and Trade.
For goods imported into Vietnam: (1) For shipments valued at less than 6,000 euros, any exporter is allowed to self-certification of origin; (2) For shipments valued at over 6,000 euros, only qualified exporters under UK regulations can self-certification of origin.
The Circular No. 02/2021/TT-BCT dated June 11, 2020 of the Minister of Industry and Trade will takes effect on July 26, 2021.
The Circular and its Appendices (in Vietnamese) are attached below:
- Circular No. 02/2021/TT-BCT
- Appendix I - Annotations for Product Specific Rules specified in Appendix II
- Appendix II - Product Specific Rules
- Appendix III - Aquatic materials applied the cumulation rule
- Appendix V - Aquatic products applied the cumulation rule
- Appendix V - Fabrics products applied cumulation rule
- Appendix VI - Form C/O EUR.1 for goods exported from Vietnam in UKVFTA
- Appendix VII - Form on declaration of origin for exporters
- Appendix VIII - List of agencies, organization granting C/O form EUR.1 in UKVFTA